My Favorite Things – The August Issue
What do we all love about August in Murfreesboro???? The heat, the humidity, the bugs??? NO!!!!
We love the summer sales as stores turn stock from Summer to Fall. Most local department stores like Dillard's, JCPenny, Kohl’s, etc., have made the shift into back-to-school and fall clothing, bags, and accessories, but also they are changing out sundries, thus making it a good time to stock up on bug sprays, sunscreen, lip balms, and so much more.
There are bargains to be had if you have the time to look around the store for their clearance items. Now with sales out of my mind (not really), let's move onto Cynthia’s Favorite Things – The August Issue.
AUGUST Favorite Things:
- Movie: A must-see is “Joe Bell.” This critically acclaimed movie is what I refer to as a three-hankie movie. Based on a true story of a young boy who battled the terror of teenage bullies and his family’s mission to make people aware. This is a must-see movie for the entire family. Watch it on Amazon
- Skin Care: Between face masks, the summer sun, and aging skin, we need to hydrate. Drinks lots of water (and no, mojitos do not count) and use a good moisturizer under cosmetics like CeraVe Moisturizing Cream, $13 at local pharmacies, local box stores, and Amazon.com. This is a good basic cream that absorbs into the skin rather than sitting on top of the skin, and you don’t have to sell a kidney to afford a nice size container. The skin feel invigorated and non-greasy.
- Scent: August summer calls for a light floral to set a lovely tone for a romantic summer picnic and barbecue. The smell of tube roses, gardenias, lilies, and grass captures the imagination, is soft and can be super sexy. My favorite is Les Exclusifs De Chanel Gardenia Eau de Parfum available through Chanel for $375+ or on Amazon. However, a more frugal option is Gardenia by Elizabeth Taylor $15.95 through Gift Express. And for my man – in the summer the masculine scent of Versace Eros Eau de Toilette Spray. This delicious fragrance just makes me want to sit on the patio with that sweet man and snuggle into him. Available at Walmart, Macy’s, Amazon and others, for $45-$150 depending on size.
- Lipstick: Pucker Up – The return of lipstick, masks off, lipstick on. Oh, how I have missed the luxury and femininity of a brightly colored lip. When COVID cases are down again and masks are slowly coming off, and we are all in need of a little color.
Through the masked times, we used lip balms on our lips and that was pretty much it. Wearing a lip color stained masks and smeared unwanted color across our faces. Now with masks mandates slowing down, it is time to open the lip drawer of your vanity and pull out some color.
Estee Lauder Pure Color Envy Sculpting Lipstick no. 340 Envious $8.15 through Amazon.com, the color is bright and lively, has little to no odor, and makes the lip sultry, soft, and smooth. Also, Beauty Concepts Lip Gloss Collection 10-piece gloss set, $14.58 through Amazon.com. With 10 colors, there will certainly be a perfect color for day and one for night depending on outfit and mood. If ten is too much, then gift to a friend, what a treat that will be. This would also make a great stocking stuffer and hostess gift. With 10, there are many opportunities to gift color.
So pucker up, pals. It is time to show our lips and for all to see us smile once again.
- Sunscreen: Always wear sunscreen, this is a must even when the forecast says rain all day. This summer’s favorite is Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch Water Resistant and Non-Greasy Sunscreen Lotion with Broad Spectrum SPF 45. Available in cream, stick, and spray for $14 at local pharmacies, box stores, and Amazon.com. This product is affordable, fast drying, wears smooth under cosmetics, and has an 80-minute water life, so after swimming, no need to reapply. For use for both men, women, and children. I even rub a little on Gunther and Maggie’s tummies because my fur babies like to lay on their backs in the sun, and pups get sunburned too.
Well, folks, that is about it for The August Issue of Cynthia’s Favorite Things. Please keep reading the Murfreesboro Voice as we dive into Fall and local fashions for Cynthia’s Favorite Things – The September Issue, and see if we can find the raindrops on roses together.
If you would like to share your favorites or would like me to try your products, please contact me at email@example.com.
* The Murfreesboro Voice may receive compensation for purchases may through links in this article.