As damage assessment continues, our hearts go out to those affected by the recent devastating storm. State Farm has received approximately 1,470 claims from the tornado and related storms. Early inspections are revealing a higher percentage of claims than normal with severe structural damage. The most severe damage is in the direct path of the tornadoes across portions of Davidson, Wilson and Putnam counties.
We anticipate as residents are able to get out and inspect their property, additional claims will continue to be filed.
Local State Farm Agents and claims specialists are already on the ground in impacted areas assisting with customers most immediate needs. We are participating in all three Claim Hub locations coordinated by the Tennessee Commerce and Insurance Department. Additionally, thousands of claims specialists are assisting customers who are calling in claims and additional catastrophe resources from across the country have deployed.
While there is damage reported across the Nashville area, many of the claims are in Davidson, Wilson, and Putnam counties.
Below are some tips for homeowners with damage. Temporary repairs may be helpful to prevent further damage to homes. And it's important to be very cautious of door-to-door solicitations.
Steps to Take Right Now:
• Visually inspect your home and auto for damage
• Document damage with pictures and video
• Make temporary repairs to prevent additional damage
• Save all of your receipts and take pictures of the temporary repairs
• Start your insurance claim process as soon as possible
Make an Informed Decision Hiring a Contractor:
• Be cautious of door-to-door solicited repairs
• Ask friends, neighbors and your agent for recommendations
• Get multiple detailed estimates in writing
• Don't pay up front. Always inspect the completed work before payment.
• If making repairs, consider upgraded roofing materials which could result in insurance premium discounts
We encourage customers to start the claim process as soon as they can and take steps to prevent further damage. Customers to start the claim process by contacting their agent, calling 1-800-SFCLAIM, using the State Farm Mobile App or reporting a claim through www.statefarm.com