We all do it – find ourselves eating away our time while we scroll away at social media, let our Netflix screen keep auto-starting the next episode, or go down a rabbit hole of click-bait options on the sidebar of an internet search.
For February, Read To Succeed asks everyone in Rutherford County to end the cycle of screen time to UNPLUG & Read!
What can you gain by moving away from a screen and onto the page of a book?
1. Reading reduces stress
2. Reading books may add years to your life
3. Reading improves your language skills and knowledge of the world
4. Reading enhances empathy
5. Reading boosts creativity and flexibility
6. Reading can help you transform as a person
1. Encourages people to actually talk to each other
2. Increases eye contact
3. Helps battle fear of missing out
4. Encourages thinking outside of the box
5. Fosters emotional intelligence
6. Unplugging calms the mind
7. It might help you get more vitamin D
8. Gives us a better relationship with the natural world
9. Unplugging helps us all focus on the RIGHT NOW
Unplug in Smyrna
Spend your President’s Day away from school with Read To Succeed and the Smyrna Outdoor Adventure Center. Drop in to join Read To Succeed’s staff and volunteers for activities, games and crafts that make reading fun.
When: Monday, Feb. 18, 11:00 am to 1:00 pm
Where: Smyrna Outdoor Adventure Center, 100 Sam Ridley Parkway, Smyrna
Cost: Read To Succeed’s activities are included with the general cost of admission to the SOAC
For more information about the Smyrna Outdoor Adventure Center visit their website.