(Murfreesboro, TN) Murfreesboro, Tennessee is one of the fastest growing cities in the United States. SmartAsset reports their recent study proved that Murfreesboro now ranks as the 3rd fastest growing boomtown in America.
One of the contributing factors to Murfreesboro coming in 3rd on the boomtown list is the massive growth in housing, which has added up to a 31.4% increase in residential units over the 5-year study period (2015 to 2020). The population increase has added up to 19.38%. Income of Murfreesboro residents has also gone up by 41.95%. SmartAsset also reported, “The area encompassing Murfreesboro ranks 34th-best for its business growth between 2015 and 2020 (15.13%).”
SmartAsset Names the Top Six Fastest Growing Cities in the United States:
- Nampa, ID- Nampa, Idaho has continued to see positive growth and moves into the No. 1 spot in this year's edition. From 2016 to 2021, Nampa’s population, incomes and available housing has increased by 16.21%, 43.99% and 22.24%, respectively. Additionally, the county in which Nampa is located has the second-highest growth in the number of businesses (almost 30% from 2015 to 2020). - SmartAsset Report
- Meridian, ID- Last year, Meridian, Idaho ranked No. 3. This year, the city ranks in the top five cities for population growth (31.72%) and its increase in the number of available housing units (39.23%). Additionally, the county where Meridian is located ranks 18th-best for its five-year growth in the number of businesses (20.02%, since 2016) and 34th-best for average annual GDP growth (3.70%). - SmartAsset Report
- Murfreesboro, TN- Murfreesboro, Tennessee ranks in the top 15 cities for its five-year increases in housing units (31.47%) and population (19.38%). Workers in the city have also seen a 41.95% increase in income over the same time period (29th-best). The area encompassing Murfreesboro ranks 34th-best for its business growth between 2015 and 2020 (15.13%). - SmartAsset Report
- New Braunfels, TX- The top boomtown in Texas is New Braunfels, which has the second-highest population and housing growth between 2016 and 2021 (36.10% and 40.86%, respectively). Additionally, Comal County, where New Braunfels is located, has the eighth-highest business growth rate between 2015 and 2020 (23.94%) and average annual GDP growth has exceeded 4%. - SmartAsset Report
- Fort Myers, FL- The only Florida city in the top 10 is Fort Myers, Florida (who is also a newcomer to the top of the list this year). Fort Myers has seen a boom in population, incomes and housing over five-years beginning in 2016. First, the city’s population has increased by almost 20% (14th-highest). Next, workers have earned roughly 47% more over the same time period and the number of housing units has gone up by nearly 28%.
- Conroe, TX- Conroe, Texas ranks highest in five-year housing growth taking the No. 22 spot for this metric (25.30%). The city’s population is also growing, increasing by 14.71% over the same time period, between 2016 and 2021. Conroe is located in Montgomery County which ranks in the top 30 for both its annual GDP and business growth rates. - SmartAsset Report
Special thanks to WGNS Radio, based in Murfreesboro, TN, for their contribution to this news article.