In advance of Veterans Day, several organizations are collaborating for a salute to women who have served in the armed forces.
"Women Warriors," a tribute to six women who have served their country in the military, is slated for 5 p.m. Tuesday, Nov. 5, in the Sam H. Ingram Building, 2259 Middle Tennessee Blvd. in Murfreesboro.
"We're doing this to say ‘thank you for all you do,'" said L'Oreal Stephens, a co-organizer of the event and a lecturer in the Department of Communication Studies.
Stephens said the honorees will be saluted not only for their military service but also their continuing devotion to making life better for other people.
"These women are parents and students and spouses and employees and business owners, and they're also giving back to their own communities after their military service," Stephens said.
The honorees will be:
- Anita L. Herron, who served for 27 years in the U.S. Army, the last five as Junior Reserve Officer Training Corps instructor at Antioch High School;
- Teresa Carter, an MTSU psychology/pre-medicine major who served in the U.S. Marine Corps;
- Tabitha Wadford, an MTSU anthropology major who served in the U.S. Army as an all-source intelligence analyst;
- Brittany Dinaso, a U.S. Army veteran who now is a practicing attorney in Murfreesboro;
- Beverly Henley, a U.S. Air Force veteran who was named her squadron's Airman of the Year in 1978 and her group's Airman of the Year in 1979;
- and Lesa Prime, who served 21 1/2 half years in the U.S. Air Force in security forces; her award will be accepted by Marcia F. Rambert.
The event is free and open to the public, but attendees are requested to register in advance at https://bit.ly/334oGwt. Parking permits entitling attendees to park in the Ingram Building lot for free can be printed from that site.
This event is hosted by the Murfreesboro chapter of the American Association of University Women and is sponsored by MTSU's June Anderson Center for Women and Nontraditional Students, the MTSU President's Commission on the Status of Women, MTSU's Charlie and Hazel Daniels Veterans and Military Family Center and MTSU's Office of Institutional Equity and Compliance.
For more information, contact Stephens at 615-485-3632 or LOreal.Stephens@mtsu.edu.
— Gina Logue (Gina.Logue@mtsu.edu)