Likely fuel leak causes plane crash near Northfield Lodge apartments

Oct 29, 2018 at 09:12 am by Voice Wire

Plane crash

Murfreesboro Fire & Rescue Department had a busy weekend. According to two separate press releases, firefighters responded to a plane crash and a house fire, both on Sunday.

The only injuries reported from both incidents were the pilot in the plane crash, who was transported to Saint Thomas Rutherford with non-life threatening injuries. In the separate house fire, three people were displaced. No injuries were reported.

Plane Crash near Northfield Boulevard

Around noon Sunday, Oct. 28, a small plane crashed behind Northfield Lodge apartments at 603 E. Northfield Blvd.

Rutherford County Emergency Medical Services removed the pilot, a 79-year-old man, from the wreckage. He was taken to Saint Thomas Rutherford with non-life threatening injuries. His name is not being released at this time.

MFRD Captain Jeff Irvin said Murfreesboro Airport personnel were on site upon MFRD’s arrival and were able to shut off the fuel, as there was a small leak. There was no fire present.

The Federal Aviation Administration and the National Transportation Safety Board have both been called and will be conducting an investigation of the crash.

MFRD Responds to House Fire

Murfreesboro Fire Rescue’s District 9, Engine 10, and Ladder 2 responded to a two-story house fire just after 9:30 Sunday night at 3431 Hamberton Circle.

Dispatch received a call stating that there were flames visible and the house looked to be fully engulfed. However, when units arrived at the scene, they reported only smoke showing.

Battalion Chief Joe Bell said the fire was located inside of the home and contained mostly to the first floor. The second floor did receive some damage. 

“Crews were able to get a quick knockdown and make entry to extinguish the fire extensions in the upstairs area,” Bell said.

The home received some smoke and heat damage throughout. 

It is unknown where the fire originated or what caused it at this time. The Fire Marshal’s Office has been contacted, but will likely report to the site tomorrow to conduct a routine investigation.

A total of three people were displaced but did not require assistance from the Red Cross.


or Register to post a comment

Get the Newsletter!